Thursday, June 26, 2008

The MRI


I went to have an MRI of my brain as a basic mapping image for the Neurosurgeon. Now for most of you this would not be any type of adventure but for a claustrophobic wimp like my self it was very stressful.

I do not like small places and even in a crowded elevator I begin to break a sweat, so imagine me in an MRI tube "NOT". I spent several hours searching for an alternative to the standard MRI and cam across Upright MRI in Deer field, IL. This is an open MRI unit that you actually sit upright in like your in a chair. The radiology purists state the image quality from these are not as high quality as those from a standard unit, but for my purposes of a baseline scan it was acceptable. Though I was still a bit cramped between the magnets I was comfortable enough to clam myself to be still for the 40 minute exam.

I am told that the pre-operative MRI I can be sedated for the day day of the surgery. I find it humorous that I am not truly concerned about them drilling holes in my head and inserting wires while I am awake but I have to be put to sleep to have an MRI. I guess we all have our stranger phobias.

My next entry will deal with the emotional experience of having your affairs in order.

Stay Focused,

Ken

1 comment:

The English's said...

Ken,
This is a nice thing your doing by sharing all this with us. Glad you started this Blog.