Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Monday June 17, 2008--The consultation

This is my first attempt at blogging so bear with me.

Today I went to the Neurologist at Rush University in Chicago to have my first consultation and discussion about Deep Brain Stimulation surgery (DBS).

Ann (my beautiful bride) accompanied me as she typically does for my Neurology appointments, this way I do not forget to tell her something important (I forgot lots lately). We entered the waiting room to grab an seat and as usual I am the youngest person there, which typically draws some stares and looks of pity from the older patients.

Leo Verhagen, MD, PhD Medical Director at the Rush Movement disorders clinic came down the hall to greet us, and so it begins. We sat and things began as usual with introductions and a review of my chart and the massive list of medications I take daily.

My Parkinson's medications (I take many more for other issues)
  1. Sinimet 25/100mg x2 tid
  2. Mirapex .25mg x1.5 tid
  3. Amantadine 100mg x1 tid

Dr. Verhagen is a very pleasant professorial looking gentleman with a great sarcastic sense of humor, one that i appreciate. Most of the appointment was the usual neuro tests of stomping you heels, opening and closing you thumb to fore finger ect... Then he went on to explain the procedure of evaluation and pre, intra and post op for DBS (I will cover in later posts.

After about an hour appointment he told us he felt I was a good candidate and should see many benefits from having DBS. It was at that moment it hit me "I am going to have brain surgery!" As i had hoped Ann was strong and supportive and I only was in shock for a few moment's before I decided it was the right thing to do. I had originally thought I might document this on film but on the way home after some thought I felt this was the best way to share the experience with others. Blogging allows me to reflect a bit more and describe what I experienced in a clearer manner than having someone just watch and try to interpret my feelings.

Next appointment is Friday with the psychiatrist and the Surgical PA.

Stay Focused,

Ken

No comments: