Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So now were here, what do we do now?


The decision process can be a daunting task or a comfortable satisfying process. If you have come to the point in your Parkinson's journey where a DBS consultation has been recommended you most likely have some significant deficit your dealing with. For me it is a severe left sided tremor, and I mean the whole left side. I also have a mild tremor beginning in my right hand.

Now understand everyone has different symptoms of PD and not all of them can be controlled with DBS. In a way I am fortunate to have tremor dominant PD as this responds well to DBS. I am not a physician so I cannot suggest what will or will not be helped with DBS. What I can say is what I was told by my neurologist that if the levodopa does not control a symptom it is unlikely the DBS will control that symptom.

I must say after the initial shock of hearing that I should consider DBS our decision process was relatively painless. Now I say our decision because this is not something that should be a unilateral decision (in my opinion) as it will effect more than just me no matter the decision.

So here was my thought process:

I first asked Ann "so what do think?" She responded as I expected and said if you think this is what you want I will support you either way. Of course this did not help because I wanted her to say "Have the surgery you cannot go on like this".

Of course I know she would never pressure me in one direction or the other but it would have been a way for me to not have to think all of it through. So I began to make a pro and con list for the surgery here is what it looked like for me.


PRO

1. I could get significant relief from my tremor on a 24 hr cycle
2. I could potentially continue to work full time as I do now for another 5-10 yrs
3. I could avoid having to file for disability in the very near future
(this is not a poor choice but for me at 43 I am not ready to face it yet)
4. I would have some control back in my life if it was successful
5. I could be fully independent for some time pending progression
6. I could continue to pursue the goals of Focus on a Cure with more energy
7. My financial situation would remain stable and possibly get better by continuing
to work full time

CON


1. It is brain surgery
2. It would carry several life altering or ending risks
3. It will keep me off work for 4-12 weeks putting a financial strain on us
4. It will cause stress for my wife and family as I go through the process
5. Did i mention it is brain surgery? :)


So as you can see the benefits well outweigh the risks in my opinion and on my list, yours may look different. My decision is made and it is supported by those whom opinion I cherish. So now we know how I got here I will post some of my personal thoughts on PD in general and how I/we have adapted to this intruder in our lives.

Stay Focused,

Ken

No comments: